Microsoft word - mr quraishi publications_presentations.doc
1. Self Monitoring Dysfunction And The Schizophrenic Symptoms Of Alien Control
• The relationship between poor self-monitoring and the
presence of alien control symptoms provides support for 1998, 28, 675 – 683. Frith & Done's account of the origins of these symptoms in schizophrenia.
2. Antibiotic Prophylaxis In Spinal Surgery – Which Is Best For Spinal Surgery? A Comparison Between Cefuroxime And Gentamicin Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery
• Paper showed that cefuroxime does not diffuse into the
intervertebral disc as readily as gentamicin, so the use of gentamicin in a single prophylactic dose for all spinal procedures is recommended in order to reduce the risk of discitis.
3. Histoplasmosis Causing A Pathological Fracture
• Paper reported the case of an 82-year-old man with a
Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery
pathological fracture of the hip caused by infection with
Histoplasma capsulatum var capsulatum. He was treated by a hemiarthroplasty and with oral itraconazole.
4. Correlation Of Nerve Root Pain With Dermatomal Sensory Threshold And Low Back Pain With Spinal Motion In Patients With Spinal Lumbar Spondylosis
• Paper concluded that, in patients with single level
Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery
disease, dermatomal sensory threshold elevation and
restriction of spinal movement are independent
correlates of sciatica and low back pain.
5. Thawing The Frozen Shoulder - Hydrodilation Versus Manipulation Under Anaesthesia – Which Is Better For Adhesive Capsulitis?
• This study prospectively evaluated the outcome of
manipulation under anaesthesia and hydrodilatation as
Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery
treatments for adhesive capsulitis. Most of our patients
were treated successfully, but those undergoing
hydrodilatation did better than those who were manipulated.
6. Fractures Of Modern High Nitrogen Stainless Steel Cemented Stems Cause, Mechanism, And Avoidance In 14 Cases Journal of Arthroplasty
• Paper presented 14 cases of fracture of modern, high-
nitrogen, stainless steel stems. Our clinical and
radiological data suggest that heavy patients with small stems and poor proximal support are at risk for fracturing their implants.
Publications Continued… 7. Intermittent Atlantoaxial Subluxation Caused By A Prolapsing Neurofibroma
• Paper described a unique case of intermittent high
Journal of Neurosurgery ( Spine )
cervical cord compression caused by a prolapsing
neurofibroma at the C1-2 level. The 21-year-old man
with known neurofibromatosis Type 1 presented with a mass between the anterior arch of the atlas and the odontoid peg, causing atlantoaxial dissociation and cord compression.
8. Do Patients With Fractures See Their Digital Radiographs And Does It Help?
• Paper reports the results of our prospective audit of 240
patients with fractures. Patients find it very useful to
view their radiographs and approximately 90% reported
British Journal of Radiology
that it helped them understand their injury better. Over
90% of patients of those who had not seen their
radiograph images believed that it would have been helpful for them.
9. A Case Of Occult Compartment Syndrome And Non-Resolving Rhabdomyolysis
• Paper highlights the need for early consideration of
Journal of General Internal
compartment syndrome as a possible cause of back pain
in the setting of rhabdomyolysis. Rhabdomyolysis can
present in the absence of late complications such as
10. Pointing In The Wrong Direction - A Case Of Diverticulitis Presenting At The Hip
• Our case emphasises the importance of having a clear
preoperative plan with relevant investigations before a
radical operative procedure is undertaken, to avoid
unnecessary risk to a non-infected hip prosthesis.
11. New Method of Scoliosis Deformity Assessment:
• ISIS-2 (Integrated Shape Imaging System) scoliosis
measurements are non-invasive, low-cost, three-
dimensional topographic back measurements which can
Stud Health Technol Inform.
be confidently used in scoliosis assessment and
12. Cauda Equina Syndrome and the Rectal Examination
• Letter response to ‘Management of low back pain’
by Steven P Cohen, Charles E Argoff, and Eugene J
British Medical Journal BMJ 2008; 337: a2718
13. Osteoporotic Compression Fractures
• Invited article on the overview of osteoporotic
British Medical Journal
14. Intra-operative Multimodality Monitoring in Adult Spinal Deformity Surgery – A Prospective Analysis of 102 cases with Independent evaluation
• Paper reports the sensitivity and specificity of combined
Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2009 Jun
intra-operative multimodality monitoring in adult
patients undergoing corrective surgery for spinal
deformity. Combined IOM had an overall sensitivity of 100%, specificity 84.3%, PPV 13.9% and NPV 97%.
15. Giant Destructive Myxopapillary Ependymomas Of The Sacrum
We report a case series of 6 patients with these complex
tumors causing extensive sacral destruction who
Journal of Neurosurgery (Spine)
underwent resection and lumbo-pelvic reconstruction
16. Current Concepts in the Surgical Management of Metastatic Epidural Spinal Cord Compression
• We present an overview of Metastatic epidural spinal
Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery
cord compression (MESCC), which is a significant
source of morbidity in patients with systemic cancer.
Book Chapters ‘Spine Revision for the FRCS’, Cambridge Publishing, 2008 D J Sharp, J M Powell, J Allibone Chapter 9 – Operative Techniques in Spinal Surgery Chapter 12 – Complications in Lumbar Spine Surgery INTERNATIONAL PRESENTATIONS Anterior Exposures Course in Cervical and Lumbar Spinal Surgery
• Course chairman, Synthes cadaveric exposures course , Nottingham, June 2010 Minimal Access Surgery in Spinal Fracture Stablisation
• Course chairman, Medtronic/Kyphon cadaveric course, Nottingham, June 2010 Litigation in Spine Surgery – Analysis of 10 years data from the NHSLA
• Invited podium presentation at Britspine, The Effect of Timing of Decompression and Stabilisation Surgery on Recovery in
• Invited podium presentation at Britspine, Patients with Metastatic Spinal Cord Compression (MSCC). The Revised Tokuhashi Score and Survival in Patients with Metastatic Spinal Disease
• Invited podium presentation at Britspine, Experience of a Spine Fellowship: A qualitative analysis
• Invited podium presentation at Britspine, Reinventing the Community Back pain Clinic: Interim Results from novel
• Invited podium presentation at Britspine, Community MDT assessment. Minimal Access Surgery in Spinal Oncology N A Quraishi Britspine, Liverpool, April 2010 Primary Spinal Tumours
‘Management of Spinal Tumours,’ Cambridge SpR Teaching, March 2010 Spinal Imaging
• Podium presentation at AOSpine meeting in Degeneration, Deformity and Tumours in Spine, Sheffield, March 2010 NICE guidelines in MSCC
• Podium presentation at AOSpine meeting in Degeneration, Deformity and Tumours in Spine, Sheffield, March 2010 International Presentations Continued… Management of Acute Spinal Cord Injury
• Session chairman at AOSpine meeting in Degeneration, Deformity and Tumours in Spine, Sheffield, March 2010 Minimal Access Techniques in Spine Surgery/Cadaveric dissections
• Course chairman, Launch of Osseoplasty, Live surgery demonstration of hemivertebra N A Quraishi, M P Grevitt excision and reconstruction
• AOSpine Live Surgery Symposium, The ‘Mini-Open’ Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion and Spinal
• Poster presentation at Society of Minimally Instrumentation in Patients with High- Invasive Spine Surgery, Las Vegas, Grade Spondylolisthesis Current Concepts in the Management of Metastatic Cord Compression AOSpine Live Surgery Symposium, Nottingham, June 2009 Stabilisation of the Mid-Lower Cervical
• Invited speaker as faculty and course
chairman (for practical exercises) at AOSpine Trauma symposium, Oxford, March 2009 Meta-analysis of Nerve Root Injections in Lumbar Spine Surgery
Podium presentation at British Association of Spine Surgeons, Sheffield, February 2009 A Prospective Study of Lumbar Nerve Root
R Ahluwalia, N A Quraishi, D J Sharp, J M
Injections in the Lumbar Spine – 5 year
• Podium presentation at British Association of Spine Surgeons, Sheffield, February 2009 Intra-operative Multimodality Monitoring in Adult Spinal Deformity: Analysis of a
R Sarjeant, Y R Rampersaud, M G Fehlings
Prospective Series of 102 Cases with
• Podium presentation at Noth American Independent Evaluation Spine Society, Toronto, October 2008. Early Onset Scoliosis And The Use Of Growing Rods
• Invited lecture and course chairman, AO Spine for ORPs International Presentations Continued… Intra-operative Monitoring in Spine
• Invited lecture at the American Academy of Neurological Surgeons, Washington, April 2007. En Bloc Resection of Primary Bronchogenic N A Quraishi, M Anraku, Y R Rampersaud, Tumours with Direct Spinal Column Invasion
• Poster presentation at Canadian Spine Society meeting, March 2007.
• Poster presentation at IMAST, Bahamas,
• Podium presentation at Britspine, April Thawing The Frozen Shoulder -
N A Quraishi, P Johnston, J Bayer, M Crowe,
Hydrodilation Versus Manipulation Under Anaesthesia – Which Is Better For Adhesive • Podium presentation at British Elbow and Capsulitis? Shoulder Surgery Society,Cambridge,
• Podium presentation, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Chicago, March 2006. Fracture Of The Femoral Stem Of The Collarless Polished Tapered (CPT) Hip
• Podium presentation at The British Hip Prosthesis Society, Wrightington, UK, March 2005. Persistent Anterior Knee Pain After Tibial Intramedullary Nailing
• Podium presentation at British Trauma Society,Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel, London, October 2003.
• Poster presentation, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons,San Francisco, March 2004. Correlation Of Nerve Root Pain With
N A Quraishi, O Taherzadeh, A H McGregor,
Dermatomal Sensory Threshold And Low Back Pain With Spinal Motion In Patients
• Poster presentation atInternational With Spinal Lumbar Spondylosis Society for the Study of the Lumbar Spine, Vancouver, Canada, May 2003. International Presentations Continued…Antibiotic Prophylaxis In Spinal Surgery – Which Is Best For Spinal Surgery? A Comparison Between Cefuroxime And
• Podium presentation atVII International Gentamicin Spinal Surgery Conference, Imperial
College School of Medicine, Hammersmith Hospital, September 2000.
• Podium presentation, SICOT 2002, St The Chronic Effects Of Total Knee
N Hunt, C Delios, N A Quraishi, R K Strachan
Replacement On Lower Limb Venous Haemodynamics Self Monitoring Dysfunction And The
N A Quraishi, J D Stirling, J S E Hellewell
Schizophrenic Symptoms Of Alien Control
International Schizophrenia Conference’, Geneva, Switzerland.
• Nominated for ‘The Young International
Worship Schedule Friday, March 7 Kabbalat Shabbat service Bring your own Dinner K-6 families Saturday, March 8 10:15 am Shabbat Service, Parsha Friday, March 14 Kabbalat Shabbat service Bring your Own Dinner Saturday, March 15 10:15 am Shabbat Service, Parsha Zachor Tzav Guest speaker Ambassador Barak Adult Pot Luck Purim Celebration
The influence of genetic and cardiovascular riskfactors on the CADASIL phenotypeSumeet Singhal,1 Steve Bevan,1 Tom Barrick,1 Philip Rich2 and Hugh S. Markus11Clinical Neuroscience, St George’s Hospital MedicalCorrespondence to: Professor Hugh Markus, ClinicalSchool and 2Neuroradiology, Atkinson MorleyNeuroscience, St George’s Hospital Medical School,Neuroscience Centre, St George’s Hos